At Cradle Hill we believe that the learning of a foreign language provides a valuable educational, social and cultural experience for our pupils. It helps them to develop their ability to communicate, including key skills of speaking and listening and extends their knowledge of how language works. It provides excitement, enjoyment and challenge for children, helping to create enthusiastic learners and to develop positive attitudes to language learning throughout life. Learning another language gives children a new perspective on the world, encouraging them to understand their own cultures and those of others. The natural links between languages and other areas of the curriculum can enrich the overall teaching and learning experience.
At Cradle Hill we endeavour to integrate language learning into everyday school life, with teachers, teaching assistants and children using and experimenting with their knowledge of different languages whenever the opportunity arises. We foster a problem-solving approach, giving children opportunities to work out language use for themselves in a supportive context where risk-taking and creativity are encouraged, and there is an emphasis on having fun with the new language. From Years 3 to Year 6 children will have specific skills, concepts and vocabulary in a weekly dedicated lesson with a specialist Spanish teacher.
We will ensure we:
- foster an interest in language learning by introducing children to other languages in a way that is enjoyable and accessible to all pupils
- stimulate and encourage children’s curiosity about language and creativity in experimenting with it
- support oracy and literacy, and in particular develop speaking and listening skills
- help children develop their awareness of cultural similarities and differences
- lay the foundations for future language study by pupils
- provide an added perspective on first language teaching and learning
- give an extra dimension to teaching and learning across the curriculum.
I enjoy Spanish because it is fun and I enjoy learning about it!
Matilda, Year 4.
I do enjoy Spanish because I like learning other languages.
Oliver, Year 4.